Apple Crumble & Wheyhey Ice Cream Cups
This week, we’ve got Pamela re-creating a classic apple crumble with a healthy and protein packed wheyhey twist.
These frozen cups of apple and cinnamon crumble and vanilla custard, finished with raw caramel sauce, will certainly hit the spot, whilst being good for you!
Apple & Cinnamon Chunks
½ can cooked unsweetened apple slices
½ tsp cinnamon
1. Stir together the apple slices and cinnamon and mix well.
2. Arrange a few slices in the bottom of each silicone muffin mould.
Vanilla Protein Custard
3 small tubs of Vanilla Wheyhey Protein Ice Cream
½ cup cashew nuts, soaked in water for at least 2 hours
1 tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of cinnamon
1. Simply take the Wheyhey tubs out of the freezer, and left soften slightly.
2. Place in a blender along with the drained cashews, vanilla and cinnamon and whizz up until smooth.
3. Pour the mixture over the apple chunks in the moulds until covered – but do leave enough room for the oat base layer.
4. Place in the freezer for at least 4 hours to set.
Oat Base Layer
½ cup oats
½ cup ground almonds
1 tbsp natural sweetener
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp almond milk
1. Put the oats and ground almonds in a bowl. Melt the coconut oil, stir in the natural sweetener and pour into the dry ingredients along with the milk. You should have a soft, oaty mixture that comes together in a sticky mixture.
2. Take your muffin tray out of the freezer and add a large spoonful of the oat mixture on top of each ‘muffin’.
3. Use your fingers to press it into the gap so you have an even layer covering the top of the cases. Return to the freezer for at least another 2 hours.
½ cup dates, soaked in hot water for 20 minutes
1 tbsp almond butter
1 tsp caramel extract
½ tsp vanilla extract
Pinch of sea salt
1. Drain the dates (keep the water) and place in a high-power blender with the other ingredients and blitz until you have a thick paste. Keep chilled until needed.
Ready to serve?
Pop out however many apple crumble custard muffins you need and leave at room temperature for about 10 minutes. Spoon some of the date caramel on top and if you like, add a slice of dried unsweetened apple to finish off.