Paleo Apple Pie With Wheyhey Ice Cream
It’s happening again. We are donning our aprons and going baking.
There are some recipes that, for some strange reason, we think are outside of our capabilities. A yoghurt and ice cream bowl with fruit, easy. Wheyhey protein ice cream with bananas and chocolate syrup, sign me up. A paleo apple pie, wait a second, there is no way I can make that. I am out. We thought the same but, what do you know, making apple pie is easy as… damn, can’t think of a good word to put here.
Paleo Apple Pie
Apple pie is made with a pastry base, apple filling and it’s illegal in most countries to serve without ice cream. (Well, maybe not, but it should be!) It is a family favourite and it’s delicious. The recipe we created is paleo friendly. For those new to the paleo world, the paleo diet includes only food that would have been available to the caveman. So, think mainly non-processed foods. That means this apple pie is full of whole, natural ingredients. It’s delicious, easy to make and bound to impress your guests. The recipe we put together serves two people. Although, if you chose to ignore that last statement, grab a tub of Wheyhey protein ice cream and eat the whole lot by yourself, we couldn’t really blame you.
Prep Time: < 30 mins.
What Do I Need?
For the base:
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 tbsp stevia
- Pinch salt
- 1/2 an egg,beaten
For the filling:
- Three apples, peeled and diced
- 1 sachet unsweetened apple puree (70g)
- 1/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/3 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tub of Wheyhey Vanilla Protein Ice Cream
What Do I Do?
- Preheat the oven to 180C.
- Grease two loose-bottomed mini pie dishes.
- Boil some water and place the apple chunks into the hot water for around 10 minutes.
- Drain the contents and leave to dry.
- Make the pastry by pulsing the almond flour, salt and stevia.
- To your pastry mixture add in and pulse the egg and coconut oil. Pulse until a ball of dough forms.
- Press the dough down into the bottoms of the pie dishes, pressing up the sides too. Any leftover dough can be cut into decorative pieces for the top of your pie.
- Back to the filling…
- Pat dry your apple wedges.
- Using a spoon, mix all the ingredients of the filling in a bowl. This includes the apple chunks, apple puree, coconut sugar, cinnamon and lemon juice.
- Spoon the filling into the pie cases.
- If you created any decorative shapes earlier, you can now put them on top.
- Place the pies in the oven. Bake for 10 – 15 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Enjoy with a scoop of sugar free, Wheyhey Vanilla Protein Ice Cream.