Melt-in-the-Middle Protein Pancakes
Unless you’ve been taking up residence under a rock somewhere, you probably noticed the worldwide obsession with protein pancakes. In recent times, pancakes have gone from sugary indulgence to healthy mainstay. We can thank the pioneer who first whisked eggs, banana and whey protein for this glorious shift.
Not only have pancakes become a staple of the gym goer’s diet, there seems to be a silent battle to crown the ruler of the protein world. The fight for best protein pancake recipe is in full swing. Each weekend, our Instagram feed is flooded with entrants vying for the top prize. At Wheyhey! we would like to announce that, thanks to @joannalowy, we believe we’ve found a winner.
‘Melt-In-The-Middle Protein Pancakes’
These are every bit as good as the name suggests. Picture this – a warm stack of protein pancakes, drizzled with melted hazelnut spread. How could it possibly get any better you say? Hmm, how about filling the centre with a few scoops of Wheyhey! chocolate ice cream and topping it all off with fresh berries. You can almost hear the sound of Homer Simpson-like drools echoing through the air.
Time to enjoy the most hyped of healthy desserts, it’s protein pancakes the Wheyhey! way.
Prep Time: <15 mins.
What Do I Need?
– 1 banana
– 1/2 cup of oats
– 1 egg
– 1 scoop of whey protein powder
– 1 tub of Wheyhey! chocolate protein ice cream
– A splash of unsweetened almond milk
– A handful of strawberries
– A handful of blueberries
– Jim Jams hazelnut chocolate spread for drizzling (optional)
– A pastry cutter (not for eating!)
What Do I Do?
For newbies, below is how to make pancakes:
- Add the banana, oats, egg, protein powder and unsweetened almond milk into a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Heat a teaspoon of coconut oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Pour in your pancake mix and begin to fry up your protein pancakes. The size of each pancake is up to you. (I like my protein pancakes small and stacked high!)
- Leave until the mixture turns into a fluffy consistency. Note: When bubbles start popping, it’s time to flip.
- Repeat until your mix is gone and you are left with a big stack of pancakes.
Now the method to the melted madness.
- Place your protein pancakes in the fridge for 5 minutes and allow to cool. (This will prevent the pancakes from completely melting the chocolate ice cream.)
Meanwhile, put your jar of Jim Jams spread into a bowl of boiling water and allow it to melt.
- Once cooled, remove the stack of pancakes from the fridge. Use a pastry cutter to cut a little hole out of the middle of each of the pancakes.
- Stack your pancakes in the centre of a plate and surround them with berries.
- Drizzle the melted Jim Jams hazelnut spread around the plate.
- Take your Wheyhey! protein ice cream from the freezer and spoon through the middle of your pancake stack.
- All that’s left to do is dig in. Enjoy!